Hawkair will make every effort to accommodate you and your pet on our flights. Keeping your comfort and safety in mind, there may be instances that might require you to be flexible with your travel plans. A customer service agent will assist you and your pet at check in on the day of travel.
Pets in the Cabin:
Hawkair will accept small domestic animals (pets such as cats, dogs) $50.00 plus taxes for carriage in the passenger cabin provided:
- Requests to bring animals in the cabin must be made at time of booking, all charges payable at time of check in. (See below for rate information)
- One animal per kennel
- The number of pets in the cabin is limited to one
- The pet kennel must conform to the carry-on size limitations of Hawkair and be soft sided. (9″x15.5″x21.5″)
- Pets must remain in the kennel, under the seat, at all times (SPCA & Airline approved kennels only).
- Special service animals that assist customers with a disability are allowed in the cabin at no charge, provided they have a registered training certificate.
- Reptiles (including snakes and lizards) and animals such as rats, mice, ferrets, weasels, etc. cannot be carried in the cabin.
Pets in the baggage compartment
- $100.00 plus tax
- Passengers must request space for the animal when making their flight reservation.
- Pet carrier dimensions must be given to the booking agent.
- The baggage compartment on Hawkair’s Dash 8 aircraft is heated from the filtration of heat from the passenger cabin. Therefore temperatures can drop below zero degrees Celsius, during winter operations.
- Although the carrier shall make every effort to protect live animals during transport, the carrier shall assume no liability for Live Animals due to adverse weather conditions including and not limited to extremes in temperatures.
- The number of kennels accepted per flight is at the discretion of Hawkair.
- Pets must be placed in hard-sided carriers that meet Hawkair’s approval.
- Pet carrier wheels must be removed prior to the flight.
- Connections to any other airlines are not permitted.
- Holiday Embargo December 15 – January 6 Inclusive, against carriage of any animal kennel.
Preparation for travel
- Get your pet used to the container a few days before its flight. A favorite toy or blanket should help it feel at home in a strange environment.
- Hawkair assumes no responsibility for the care or feeding of pets while in transit, it is most important that you prepare both the cage and the animal ahead of time. Here’s what you should do:
- Give only a light meal to your pet a few hours before flight departure. Most pets are house trained and do not wish to soil their bedding. It is therefore kinder not to give them too much food.
- Pets travel very well and do not usually need a sedative. If sedation is required, it must only be carried out under strict veterinary supervision and the details should be clearly shown on the pet’s container.
- Hawkair will not transport puppies and kittens under 10 weeks old, all puppies and kittens must be weaned and able to eat on their own.
- Cats and dogs up to the sixth week of pregnancy can be carried. However, they must have a veterinary certificate confirming the pregnancy and that the pet is fit to travel.
Guide to Kennel Requirements
To ensure the correct size of container for your pet, please follow these guidelines. They relate to an animal standing in a natural position.
- Must be approved for air transportation
- Hard-sided carriers for cargo compartment, no metal crates will be accepted.
- Soft sided with leak proof bottom or hard kennels for in cabin that fit securely under the seat.
- Industry size restriction of 9H x 15.5W x 21.5L.
- Kennels cannot be collapsible or fold-able.
- Must be leak proof, escape proof and the door must fasten securely
- Be adequately ventilated
- Clean and free from offensive odor.
- Wheels must be removed or taped to prevent rolling.
- It is recommended that ice only be placed in the kennel as water will spill and become messy for the animal.
- All animals must be able to stand up and turn around in a complete 180 degrees in their kennel.
- Must have absorbency pads to line kennel
- Animals of comparable size, which are from the same litter (max 2) or used to co-habituating together may travel in the same container. The charge is per kennel. Maximum combined animal weight cannot exceed 61 lbs. Animals exceeding this weight (max 14kg or 30.8 lbs. each) must travel individually
Animals that cannot be accepted for travel
- Animals in heat (estrus)
- Animals more than 6 weeks pregnant. * Note: pets up to and including the 6th week of pregnancy may be accepted provided a veterinary certificate confirming both the pregnancy and the animal’s fitness to travel is produced at time of check-in.
- Puppies or Kittens under 10 weeks old (or that are not weaned)
- Animals so heavily sedated that they cannot stand up
- Animals that appear overly agitated or aggressive.
- Hawkair reserves the right to refuse the transportation of any animal which appear aggressive or agitated
- Any reason deemed unacceptable by Hawkair.
Pet Kennels and Sizing
RATES – Pets travelling with a Passenger (weights indicated are total weights):
Small IATA “0” (up to 15 lbs or 6.8 kg)
Junior IATA “100” (16-30 lbs or 7.3-13.6 kg)
Medium IATA “200” (31-45 lbs or 14.0-20.4 kg)
Intermediate IATA “300” (46-65 lbs or 20.9-29.5 kg)
Large IATA “400” (66-100 lbs or 30.0-45.0 kg)
Traveling with your pet in the Cargo Hold (rates vary by weight, see chart above)
Hawkair will endeavor to accommodate the passenger and their pet on our flights. However, the aircraft types that we operate, the total kennel weight, weather and regulatory constraints may restrict us from transporting the live animal to the destination. This may require the passenger to be flexible with travel plans involving a pet.
The pet must be in a comfortable kennel (large enough to allow the animal to fully standard turn around), which is leak-proof. The maximum dimensions of a kennel that we will accept are 36” long x 26” wide and 28” high, with a maximum total weight of up to 100lbs. or 45 kg. Please see the applicable rates above. Baggage limitations and rules apply and the pet must be accompanied by the owner on the same flight.The baggage / cargo compartments on the, Dash 8 aircraft are heated from the filtration of air from the passenger cabin. Therefore, it is possible that temperatures can drop below zero degrees Celsius during winter operations for extended periods of time.
If you are traveling with pets considered Extra Large (over 100 lbs) or animals traveling alone – see cargo
For any additional information please contact our Reservations office
Toll Free 1.800.487.1216